I’ve been reasonably crafty and creative recently, so decided I would make a special case for this special bat.
After much planning, sketching, measuring and staring into the void I settled on a design I was happy with and headed to Mitre 10 to get the plywood that would make up the majority of the case.
I took it over to my father-in-law’s workshop and cut it to length, put grooves in the sides for the Perspex top I intended to slide in and, not having a router, I used the saw bench to make the ends plug in, while seamlessly continuing the lid groove.
I was pretty damn chuffed with the result:
We glued three out of four sides to the base and left it to dry.
The next weekend I cut and drilled out some spare pieces of ply that would hold the bat in place.
A few months passed and I was finally able to get out to Spotlight in Hastings to buy some adhesive-backed green felt to go into the case to resemble the green grass of a cricket pitch and protect the bat from knocks and scrapes.
It was like Durasealing the inside of the exercise book from hell, but I managed to get it done, with the worst of only a few ripples hidden by the bat when it was set in place.
Last was the Perspex lid. This would keep the case sealed and the bat dust free.
The result looks pretty professional if I do say so myself!
Now I just need an office, or regal study / leather armchair furnished library to mount it in…